International
Federation for
Housing and
Planning

IFHP History

 

The Federation was inaugurated in London on 22 August 1913 under the Presidency of Ebenezer Howard and Secretaryship of Ewart Culpin. The foundation, under the title “The International Garden Cities and Town Planning Association” was initially formed as the international arm of the Garden Cities movement.
 
Its purposes and areas of interest have gradually evolved and expanded and with this evolution have come changes in the titles of the organisation thus:
 
  • 1922 International Garden Cities & Town Planning Federation
  • 1924 International Federation for Town & Country Planning and Garden Cities
  • 1926 International Federation for Housing and Town Planning
  • 1958 International Federation for Housing and Planning
 
Along with the title changes the Headquarters locations have moved 16 times over its 100+ years of existence through five countries: UK, Belgium, Germany, The Netherlands and now Denmark.
 
 

More information on IFHP's history

If you are interested in learning more about the history of IFHP, please purchase: “A hundred years at the global spearhead. The Centenary of IFHP 1913-2013”, by Graham Allan, Member of IFHP Council.